Friday, May 18, 2007

Imagination runs Riot

So I was in this meeting all AM in which we were trying to suss out all of the information we were missing for a project, when I got an IM from a co-worker asking me if I knew about the sex-abuse. Being Catholic, I immediately assumed I was in for another round of priest stories. Deep sigh, I was going to be spending the next 6 months kicking people’s butts. When a family member’s a priest, well that shit ain’t funny any more. Then she told me that it was about the TdF and on the front page of CNN. So I popped it open. Now the problem was that by this point, the meeting had whittled down to me, my boss and one co-worker. Which means that I couldn’t do the mid meeting “I’m just looking at that power point we’re reviewing”. Because when my lips moved while I was reading the article, well that was going to be obvious. So I spent 20 minutes staring at a photo of Landis, a photo of LeMonde and the headline “Sex Abuse bombshell, phone threat claim at doping hearing”, and trying to hold conversations while puzzling out what it could mean. Landis abused LeMonde? No, that couldn’t be right, LeMonde is older, but not decrepit. LeMonde abused Landis? Hmm, maybe back when LeMonde was a Tour winner himself? Hmmm, not likely, I don’t think Landis got out of PA much at that time in his life. One or the other abused a podium girl? A daughter or sister? Farm animals?

Ya know, the reality was just a lot less interesting. Shameful, but certainly not what I had blown it up to be in the time I had to invent scenarios.

But I did call my love once my meeting ended to make sure he’d heard.

“Sweetie, did you hear about the trial today with LeMonde?”
“Yesterday”
“Whatever”
“It’s all over the internerd, of course I know.”
That's my sweetie. If it's hit the wires, he's in the know.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home