Wednesday, May 16, 2007

This crazy doping thing...

Alright, one last post on the subject until there's something real to post about. Bear with me, it's way overkill, I know. It's just that every time I hear a story about our local racer, I have this incredible urge to go "WHAT are you DOING?" But this Landis trial? It takes the cake.

Over the years, I've avoided reading his cyclingnews diary, his website, and his race results. But this...this engenders equal parts schadenfreude, fascination, puzzlement, and repulsion. It's truly a train wreck, and therefore infinitely fascinating to me at the moment.

As hubby and I discussed last night, it's a weird place for a person to find themselves. And presumably he volunteered for the role of witness for the prosecution since I don't think he was ever busted for doping. (See previous paragraph if I'm wrong. I haven't precisely been following his career.) But anyone who thinks Landis is innocent is going to dislike this guy. Anyone who is opposed to doping is going to dislike this guy. Anyone who dislikes WADA or USADA is going to dislike this guy. Is there anyone I missed in the cycling world and possibly other sports? Now I know his intent is not to stay in cycling, but talk about burning bridges. Yikes.

The other question which I touched on in my previous post on this subject is.... he doped to get to Div 3 pro. Yet he's supposed to prove how useful testosterone is, how helpful it was in his career. First of all, the before and after stats will be interesting. Presumably there's something more substantive than this guy's magnetic presence and authoritative voice. And I understand my husband's point in that the actual margin between Div 1 and Div 3 is slimmer than you would think. But. In some ways, the difference is light years. It sounds like Landis's lawyers are tough, I'll be fascinated to read the recap of that particular cross.

So until this guy takes the stand, I'll post no more. This is one of those blogorrhea moments when spelling it out is therapeutic. But if anyone wants to know why I'm sitting here and giggling on occasion, you will certainly be in the know.

Labels:

1 Comments:

At May 18, 2007 at 10:48 AM, Blogger Soupie said...

it has been a great week to stalk joe papp

 

Post a Comment

<< Home