Sunday, October 01, 2006

War and Peace

It’ll be 12 quality hours of driving, racing, watching races, drinking Gatorade, snapping pix, pitting, and playing with the dog by the time we declare this Sunday complete. In other words, I could lose 10lbs by the end of cyclocross season if I just did this every day.

The day started at 6AM with me fighting off a screamin’ headache and listening to it rain. Do I want to go? I mean really how important is it if I go? Am I starting to get nauseous because of the headache or the flu? Wah. A few ibuprofen and breakfast later, and we were on the road to Buckeyestown Md. The venue was Lilypons, and Chris’s first outing was the B-race. He had a ball, moving from the back of the field. I loved watching his progression from back at the back, to finally claim a good spot in the B-race. And then he finished on the lead lap of the A-race, which is pretty impressive. That made 3 races in 25 hours.

As for me, I played with Fredly in the big grassy fields at Lilypons. The grass was his favorite height, so there was lots of running around being silly. Then I chilled in the pit with Chris’s bike during the B race and talked to Marilyn during the A-race. The most important things at a bike race for me? The pit. That’s where I spend my day. Or places I can run the dog. A+ on the latter, C- on the former. The pit was small, confusing, and for some reason people not only did not allow for room with wheels & bikes to move around, but their supporters were insistent on standing square in the middle of it. The poor official who had responsibility for it was losing his mind. But I know in the overall scheme of things, what interests me is the least important part of a bike race. It’s not something that would or should ruin anyone’s day. It’s just my interface with the course as a non-racer/support crew.

It was once again fantastic to see everyone who was at the race. Sean and Marilyn showed up with a basketball under her shirt (no, kidding, really, she’s pregnant). Fatmarc put in a killer race and pulled 2nd. in the B’s. Wes started great in the A-race, and then had a mechanical that seemed to throw him completely off. He got 4th behind an amazing sprint. I met Amy Breyla, and Marilyn’s twin Mary, and Pete who put on the cyclocross clinic that Chris helped teach with JBV Coaching. My only problem is I flake out at the races. I swear there’s so much going on that in the middle of a sentence I wander off. “So I was telling my boss…is that a butterfly?” and then I walk away. Between having to keep an eye out for oncoming dogs, making sure Fredly is doing ok on food/water, watching the races….well my brain just overloads.

Anyway...the weather? Gorgeous. And the headache? Gone.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home