Monday, September 25, 2006

Moment of Panic

I was already in bed reading when hubby and the mutt showed up. I wasn’t really paying attention, when Fred started the tap-tap-tapping walk around the bed, and hopped in on Chris’s side. That should have been enough to set off warning bells. He NEVER gets in on Chris’s side of the bed. And when he laid down between us, that should have been warning bells as loud as Big Ben, the dog's sleeping place is always nearest the door. When I looked up, I caught a flash of red on a leg that was being carefully hidden by the dog from my sight. He’s no dummy, he knows which of the owners is most likely to poke, prod, and otherwise annoy him when he’s hurting. A closer look showed blood on his chest and down his front left paw.

“Sweetie, Fred’s bleeding!”
“Oh. Yeah, he was messing with a cat when he was out.”
“Sweetie, he’s bleeding a lot…”
“I guess the cat got him.”

Meanwhile I’m frantically looking for a wound, but can’t find it on him. It doesn’t look like the cat’s blood, so that means that he probably got a puncture that stopped bleeding by the time the dog got into bed. I try wiping the blood off of him, which is getting more blood on the blanket. I finally gave up.

“Fine” I grumped as I put my book down. “Make sure you spray the blanket with Spray and Wash in the morning.”

Well I’d hoped when Fred was young that a cat would smack him upside the head. This one missed his head, but maybe it’ll teach the big lug some respect. Somehow I doubt it, though.

Harrumph. Men.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home