Saturday, June 17, 2006

Whiteface Chalet

Cross a motel with a bed and breakfast and you get the Whiteface Chalet. And it's the good things that are in the cross. The owners are personable and the central room next to check in comes complete with fireplace and big chairs. But each room has it's own outdoor and indoor entrances, so if mingling is not your thing, no worries. Yes, the continental breakfast was pretty standard fare....EXCEPT for the apple/raisin muffins made fresh. I met Deeks last night, the 13 year old yellow lab who's deaf as a post. And his little stuffed animal. The structure is motel like, but the whole place is decorated in knotty pine, dark green paint, black bears and elk. Last night we got in around 9:30, and the owner was prepared to dig in the kitchen to see what she could feed us. Fortunately the Hungry Trout restaurant was still open, so we could get a normal meal. This will definitely be the inn of choice for any future adirondack trips. Oh, and did I mention the price was reasonable? (Pictures to follow, this place is a hoot...)

I love it up here. We did the marathon drive yesterday - 9.5 hours starting around noon time because I had to work yesterday AM. But the payoff is no driving today. Chris could conceivably ride to the race, although I'll meet him at the top. I'll probably look for some place to get a hike in. But other than that, it'll be all about chillin' in the adirondack chairs outside of our room. And drinking my Lady Grey tea. And trying not to wake my hubby. The weather is grey and rainy, which is going to make him very, very happy when he wakes up. He seems to race better on ugly weather. So for his sake, my fingers are crossed that it gets uglier closer to race time. If it's epic, he's there. Unfortunately I'm there too, but I'll be sitting in a car with the Fred monster. I'm off to ponder the mysteries of tall knotty pines, and small mountains...

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home