Friday, June 16, 2006

Homesick

I talked to a guy I used to work with yesterday, and it's making me a little homesick for Texas. Gib is a bubbly, outgoing Texan. I know those two words are not normally associated, but if anyone could be named Mr Texas, he would be it. Anyway, a co-worker is off to Kerrville TX, and if there's any person in the state who would know what to do in the Kerrville area, I knew it would be Gib. We caught up on families (by the way, did I mention I got married? Your daughter is HOW old?), he gave me pointers on the good things to do in that area (heck, now I'm ready to go), and he ended with "Well bring your husband down to San Antonio. You can stay on the boardwalk (his favorite hotel for visitors is next door to the Alamo), we'll take you out to for some good Mexican food, drink beer and margaritas..." Good grief, I am SO ready to go back.

And for some reason it reminded me of an icehouse that used to be near where I lived. For a long time there were stables in the area, so every once in a while I'd drive by and see horses tied up outside. This is in Houston, the 4th largest city in the country. Next to a 4 lane road. Does it get any more Texas than that? Oh and did I mention that ice houses aren't air conditioned? No point when you have ice cold beer flowing and football on tv. Every February you had the pre-Rodeo barbecue cookoff, and then followed by two weeks of Rodeo. To add to the incongruity, Rodeo was held for a long time in the "Eight Wonder of the World". By the way, Mr Texas's sister at one point used to compete at Rodeo...with her husband in Steer Wrestling.

Anyway, this weekend we're going in the opposite direction. We're off to the Adirondacks!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home