Thursday, June 08, 2006

Out for a spin

When I got home from work/farmer’s market yesterday, Chris had the bike cleaned up, and the tires filled. (Have I mentioned lately how awesome my husband is?) A little running around taking care of things – dog walk, trash day, picking up chips to go with Arturo’s Cinco de Mayo salsa - and I was off for my ride.

It’s a little weird not having been on the bike for the last few months, how tentative I was. First of all, to get to the trail meant riding across gravel and train tracks. The only two real crashes I’ve had as an adult (not counting some mtn bike issues) have been on gravel and on train tracks. Natural love there. But having survived the gauntlet, I headed down the trail. It’s a gorgeous paved trail, with overhanging trees and the river off to the left. At 7PM, the sun is setting, and it’s beautiful. I smelled honeysuckle and took a deep breath GACK! EW! BLLLLAAAAHHH!! Damn, I hate clouds of gnats. And the bad thing is I inhaled one so far back in my throat that there was nothing to do but swallow it. Grrrooossss. Sigh. But as my mom would say, it’s just a little more protein. Anyway, the romance was off the ride, but it still was nice to get out and get moving. I know that I’m out of shape because the false flat on the return trip felt like Mt Washington. And I know that I’ll need a good pair of gloves because my hands were getting sore on the way back. Yes, I know, don’t lean so hard on the handle bars. Whatever. But I still managed to pass a few riders along the way, so all is well.

It was fun! And the goal for tonight is to mountain bike at a local park. So I'm looking forward to it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home