Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Signs of Success

Last night I volunteered to help sort clothes for Dress for Success. That's sort, people, not give fashion tips. That's why I opted for the tennies and ratty jeans. Fortunately no one was around because I was not the billboard for success. That might have something to do with my getting stuck in the stairwell. Sigh. I can't follow directions. We were supposed to meet on the 12th floor, and then there was a sign that said to go to the 16th floor. I went to the elevator and it only went to 15. So I went back and double checked the sign. When I was waiting for the elevator, a woman got off who was with Dress for Success, and she gave me convoluted directions about going to the 15th floor and then something something room 1645. So I got to the 15th floor, and there were steps, conveniently located. I walked up to the 16th floor, pulled on the door and....nothing. Totally locked. Crap. Down to the 15th, tried the door, down to the 14th... crap, crap, crap. I resigned myself to walking to the bottom, when I noticed the 11th floor door was a different color. And it did indeed turn out to be unlocked. So I got on the elevator, and hit 15. Sure enough, we stopped at 12 and the nice lady who gave me directions to begin with stepped onto the elevator. She was a bit surprised to see me, but had a good laugh. And got me to the right place. All told, I was 1/2 hour late getting there between misjudging the time for the train, and getting totally lost. But someone else was an hour and a half late (for two hours of volunteering!). Based on the whole "You don't have to run faster than the bear, just faster than the slowest person in your group" theory, I guess I did ok. And we did get the sorting done and the inventory mostly done.

On the way home, the train passed an apartment building I could have hit with a paper airplane if the train windows opened. On the side it had a huge sign that said "For Rent: QUIET 1 Bedroom Apartment".

And speaking of volunteering, big kudos to Angie. She's committed to 8 hours/month at the SPCA, (that's 96 hours/year for those of you keeping track at home) and 1 hour/month at the Tejas Auxiliary Alliance. Given how many animals the SPCA ended up with after Katrina/Rita, you know that they're probably still feeling the fallout. Work it, sister! You inspire me! My 40 hours a year is a mere pittance!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home