Thursday, January 11, 2007

Addicts

I am apparently addicted to dopers. Tyler Hamilton, Floyd Landis, but the precursor to them all... Mark McGwire. I LOVE Mark McGwire, and I think he's taking a beating for everything that is/was wrong in baseball. In 1998 I remember staying home to watch those last few games on TV in which he was swinging for that homerun record. And yes, I choked up when he did it in front of my hometown crowd, and they cheered for minutes. I remember being touched when he hugged the Maris family, and being impressed well before that when he started the foundation for abused kids. He's always struck me as a big bashful farm boy, and I have a soft spot in my heart (and probably my head) for him.

One of my favorite sports writers is Bernie Miklasz, and he has a great column in the StL Post-Dispatch today that sums up my feelings on the whole Mark McGwire "thing". Nice to know that there are coherent people in the world who can channel my feelings.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home