Saturday, January 06, 2007

1776

My husband can attest that I have abominable taste in music. That extends to my loving corny musicals. (Do I get brownie points for hating "South Pacific"?) And this one has a special place in my heart. My birthday is July 4, and in my mid teens we developed a tradition of going downtown to watch fireworks, then coming back and watching the late, late showing of the movie version of the musical 1776 on TV. A few days ago I felt a yen (out of season) to watch the old movie again. And ya know what? I still love it. One of my favorite lines comes from John Adams as he storms into congress early in the movie:
I have come to the conclusion that one useless man is called a disgrace; that two are called a law firm, and that three or more become a Congress!

Another great line (just because of our weekly road trips in the fall) from Adams:

At a stage in life when other men prosper, I'm reduced to living in Philadelphia


A few years ago I got to Independence Hall in Philly, and it made me laugh to realize that they must have actually filmed the movie on sight. Anyway, I'm off to scare the dogs by singing along again.

I do believe you've laid a curse on North America

A curse that we now here rehearse in Philadelphia

A second flood,

a simple famine

Plagues of locusts everywhere

Or a cataclysmic earthquake

I'd accept with some despair

But, no, you sent us Congress.

Good God, sir, was that fair?

Labels:

4 Comments:

At January 6, 2007 at 8:35 PM, Blogger megA said...

hey hey HEY!

my birthday in July 3rd!! we so rock!

xoxo

m

 
At January 8, 2007 at 9:31 AM, Blogger MyHusbandRules said...

A friend whose birthday was also on the 4th asked me "How old were you before you found out the fireworks weren't for you?"

Cancers of the world, unite!

 
At January 11, 2007 at 1:06 PM, Blogger Soupie said...

how can you hate south pacific?!

THERE IS NOTHING LIKE A DAAAAME, NOTHING IN THIS WORLD


*chest tattoos*

 
At January 12, 2007 at 12:57 PM, Blogger MyHusbandRules said...

Soupie, I'm expecting you to belt that one out the next time I see you!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home