Monday, October 09, 2006

Quick note to the Port Authority of Allegheny County

You want to know why ridership is down? I know that everyone has a story, and it’s my blog, so here’s mine. My Dad and I took the train to the bike trail to ride bikes. We’re talking about a 65 year old man and a suburban housewife stepping on the train at white-breadsville station. And we were hassled by the conductor to an embarrassing degree.

This isn’t the first time a conductor has given me or my husband problems about having a bike on the train – something that PAT says is OK on their website. But it’s going to be as close to the last time as I can make it. I won’t say never. But I will say that I’m no longer looking for ways to make mass transit work as an option. It’s a darn shame; I would much prefer the better environmental impact and the not having to drive the car. But I’m sick of being treated like a vandal when I step on the train, and I surely don’t want to pay for the experience

4 Comments:

At October 9, 2006 at 7:07 PM, Blogger Jen Ambrose said...

Try going on with a stoller. Dirty looks, lectures, and orders barked at you like you are five. On the NY subway, I could just walk on, baby still in stroller, and then walk off at my stop.

 
At October 9, 2006 at 7:07 PM, Blogger Jen Ambrose said...

Try going on with a stoller. Dirty looks, lectures, and orders barked at you like you are five. On the NY subway, I could just walk on, baby still in stroller, and then walk off at my stop.

 
At October 10, 2006 at 7:01 AM, Blogger MyHusbandRules said...

Geez - even a stroller gets that? I just figured they'd had bad experience with kids with bikes or something. (eye roll here!)

 
At October 10, 2006 at 8:35 AM, Blogger Jen Ambrose said...

Strollers are permitted provided they are completely collapsible. Many driver roll their eyes when you start to bring one on. You have to take the baby out (which sucks if they are sleeping) and fold the thing up flat and hold the baby and the stoller. Obviously this means you can't bring a three-wheeled jog or (as I prefer to call it because I don't jog) outdoor activity stroller.
by the way, I HEART PGH blog listed the bus routes taht are specifically bus friendly a week or two ago. Those routes supposedly have buses equipped with bike racks.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home