Monday, January 09, 2006

Chronicles of Narnia – The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe (2005)

Hubby and I went with our militant atheist friend (maf) to see this movie. Yes, yes, I know that it probably wasn’t our smartest combination of movie and philosophy, but in our defense “SHE STARTED IT!” Anyway, the movie was excellent, following the book as closely as I can remember. (Yes, I will add it to the reading list). The kids were great actors (you’ve probably already heard the raves for “Lucy”) – not a “young Skywalker” in the bunch. The CGI was impressive, especially with the faun, but I found it just a little off with Aslan. He was actually distracting to me because he was a great creation but didn’t quite move like a real lion. Piddly nit picking thing, but noticeable to me nonetheless. (And now noticeable to you if you watch the movie later. For my next trick, quit thinking about your tongue.)

Afterwards, maf asked “what was all of the hullabaloo about this being a Christian movie”? I’m assuming that she didn’t know that CS Lewis wrote it as a Christian allegory? Anyway, hubby was walking behind me with her, so I pretended I didn’t hear, and he ducked the question. To me, as a Catholic, and to him, as a Baptist, the parallels were clear.

******WARNING: SPOILERS AHEAD**********
You aren’t reading this if you haven’t seen the movie or read the book, are you? Are you??

The scene of the two girls walking with Aslan part of the way to his sacrifice at the hands of the white witch was clearly (to me, anyway!) the garden of Gethsemane. During the sacrifice scene, they tied up and shaved Aslan (Stripping & beating), and then of course the actual sacrifice. The two little girls act as the women at the cross, cleaning him up and preparing him for burial. And finally, when Aslan rises from the dead, the stone in the temple splits in two (like the curtain of the temple in the bible).

That’s it, you can resume reading

******END SPOILERS ***************

And that is a cursory response to watching the movie. I remember that there’s a whole thing around the gifts given to the children, but right off, through a haze of crazed sinuses, I can’t remember what that is.

Go see it - if MAF & we can agree it's a good movie, at the very least you can be comfortable that it's not going to offend you. And really, it's a good movie.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home