Monday, March 31, 2008

Insomnia Tour '08

My son has decided that sleep is really unnecessary.

Alas, he cannot just lie in his crib and ponder the mysteries of life ("Why do I have hands?" "Why does Ginger smell like sewer water?" "What makes that rattling sound in my rattle? I can't see anything on the outside...").

No, the insomnia experience is to be shared. And as he gets more and more tired, and less and less able to self soothe, his middle of the night wake ups have gone from gentle "wah, wah, wah" to screams that make my ear drums vibrate. I've stood outside the hangar at what was then McDonnell Douglas as the Blue Angels approached, and it doesn't come near the effect of my baby screaming in my ear.

Now I understand why my great aunt used to give shots of whiskey to her teething babies. All is made clear.

2 Comments:

At April 1, 2008 at 8:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

And look how good those babies turned out!

 
At April 2, 2008 at 7:35 AM, Blogger MyHusbandRules said...

Amen, sister. I'm not going to do that with my kid, but I know my great aunt's babies were perfectly fine!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home