Friday, March 28, 2008

Canadian Warmup Music

This morning on the way in to work I heard first Queen's "Another one bites the dust" followed by Anything But the Girl's "Miss You". And it reminded me of a story....

So back when I was the Yoko Ono of Chris's cycling team, we headed off to St Catherine's Ontario for a race. The best part with the guys we went with was just getting there. The one guy was....directionally challenged. It added a certain amount of spice to our trips. Anyway, after crossing the border we went the wrong way on the QEW. After a few miles, it became pretty evident. "Should we pull over for directions?" I suggested, hopefully. "No, drive faster!" was the response from the navigator in the front seat. At that point, I abdicated any further input. I wasn't racing after all, and this promised to be good. Somehow Magellan got us there, whirling along at 150 mph (or 300 kmh in Canadian Dollars at the time) down back roads I'm pretty sure weren't on his map. Hats off to him, I never thought he could do it.

When we pulled into the parking lot at the race, you could hear the beats going from all the cars. A little "Rage against the Machine" from the angry looking dude over there. A little techno from the car with about 47 riders crammed into it. Quiet Riot blasting on the old dude's stereo. Beastie Boys from the Hip-Hop wanna-be guys. And then there was the guy who pulled in next to us with the Ontario license plates. He turned on the tunes, and immediately I was lulled into a state of calmness as Styx came on. As "Babe" rolled out of his stereo and he warmed up on his trainer, Magellan turned to Chris with an incredulous look on his face. "Suddenly I want to just call my ex-girlfriend and tell her everything is going to be ok."

And thus came the expression that lives on in our lexicon: Canadian Warm Up music - any soothing mellow song, especially if it's from the 80s.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home