Friday, July 06, 2007

mental ambling

  • Yesterday took the mutts to the park. For the first 10 minutes I was really excited, I was clipping along at an almost reasonable speed. And I wasn't panting. "Woohoo!!" I thought, "I'm doing so great!" Then I realized that was because I was going downhill. And I still had to go back up. DOH!
  • Angie sent me an article from the Wall Street Journal about how it's all Mr Rogers's fault that young adults feel overly entitled.
"Don Chance, a finance professor at Louisiana State University, says it dawned on him last spring. The semester was ending, and as usual, students were making a pilgrimage to his office, asking for the extra points needed to lift their grades to A's.

"They felt so entitled," he recalls, "and it just hit me. We can blame Mr. Rogers."

Fred Rogers, the late TV icon, told several generations of children that they were "special" just for being whoever they were. He meant well, and he was a sterling role model in many ways. But what often got lost in his self-esteem-building patter was the idea that being special comes from working hard and having high expectations for yourself"


And my question is...why is a single person to blame? Really, Mr Rogers? I watched Mr Rogers too, but I've never asked a professor to change my grade for anything other than a mistake. And I was hardly alone among my classmates with that. Color me skeptical on this one!

  • Went to have Peanut monitored this AM. The idea is that when the baby kicks, the heart rate should increase and all will be considered well. Let me tell you, our kid is a champ. They gave me this little button to push everytime I felt him/her move. It looked like I was playing a video game, I pushed it so often. Think of the possibilities, Peanut could be a Karate expert, an international soccer star, a member of the "Lord of the Dance" cast.... The possibilities are endless!
  • After being such a dud on my birthday, tomorrow we're going to try again. I was totally non-functional, so we'll see if I can sneak a nap in between our Lamaze class and my birthday dinner. Then I might be able to hold a conversation - woohoo!
  • Fred actually did better this year with the fireworks - no more staring into the corner of the room like a re-enactment of The Blair Witch Project. I think it probably had something to do with the fact that Ginger was completely oblivious to the scariness of the loud banging things around her head. As a matter of fact, I sat on the front porch and Ging just stood with her front on the wall waiting to see if anything barkable went by. Fred came out for 2 seconds, but his bravery didn't extend to getting CLOSER to the lound banging things. Are you nuts? But while he wasn't happy, he also wasn't immobilized. And I'll take that!
  • Flipping around last night I ran across the tribute to Heart last night. And I've got to ask... Who thought to pair Gretchen Wilson with Alice in Chains? That ended up being inspired. I do love Heart (yeah, shut up, I'm a midwestern child of the 80s. I'm just disappointed they don't make IROCs anymore), and it was great to see them on stage. And yes, they no longer look like 20 something glam rockers, but it didn't slow down either of the Wilson sisters in the least. Rock on, WHOOO (flips out lighter).

Labels:

3 Comments:

At July 6, 2007 at 3:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

ummm, I actually saw Heart in concert - well, some time ago. And, for fear that my husband may divorce me...I won't sign my name. However, the concert was a blast and I sang every word I knew. Which turned out to be every song. So I'll support you from where I sit here in the closet. ;-)

 
At July 7, 2007 at 10:26 AM, Blogger Jen Ambrose said...

We are pro-Heart, too. If you do not have it you absolutely need The Road Home
http://www.amazon.com/Road-Home-Heart/dp/B000002TSY/ref=m_art_li_1/105-7051993-2842062

 
At July 10, 2007 at 8:28 AM, Blogger MyHusbandRules said...

No worries, anonymous, I'm pretty sure admitting to liking Heart is going to get me booted out of most of my social circles.

I'm off to buy "The road home" now - that looks awesome!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home