Wednesday, June 27, 2007

New vistas

As I looked over the balcony at the little party we were joining, I could feel my inner 6-year-old curl into the fetal position and whimper. An acquaintance of Chris’s had invited us to a dinner party last night, and when we walked through the house and out into the back yard, I realized we didn’t know a soul there. Give me a group of people I know, or even one person I know, and I can be a ham. Give me a group of people I don’t know , and you can usually find me in the corner with my Linus blanket, sucking my thumb. And I was in sales for 10 years; you’d think I would have outgrown that.

But down we went to the party, and to meet a whole lot of new people. And it turned out to be a ball. It was a super interesting group, with the host family coming from South Africa along with two of their friends, one man is from the Ukraine with his interpreter, and there was a man from Canada. Our friends Belle and Frank arrived 15 minutes after us, hot off of their Ecuadoran vacation. In other words, they were all very interesting, well-traveled people. And a few of them were quite the raconteurs. After all was said and done, it turned out to be a lot of fun to just hang with people who traveled in social spheres so very different than our own.

AND not one of them pointed at me and laughed. So my inner 6-year-old slept easy last night.

4 Comments:

At June 27, 2007 at 11:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What was cool, but somewhat embarrasing, was how little I knew about South Africa. I'd like to think I know a little about every country but I could not have told you squat about SA. Lovely being American, isn't? Apparently friendliness and ability to hold a conversation are SA traits, based on last night.

-the husband

 
At June 27, 2007 at 10:20 PM, Blogger Jen Ambrose said...

And you did it without liquid courage!

 
At June 28, 2007 at 11:19 AM, Blogger MyHusbandRules said...

Very true! Amazing what you can accomplish when you CAN'T have a bit of the grape to help out!

 
At June 28, 2007 at 1:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't fool yourself Ambrose. She's drinking for two now.

(man, that line never gets old)

-the husband

 

Post a Comment

<< Home