Tuesday, June 12, 2007

The end of romance

E-freakin-gads

Ok, look, after 2 years of marriage and 40 years of living, I understand that life is not going to be fairy tales and princes. I'm ok with that. I'm not precisely Scarlett Johansen, so I'm sure there are a few fantasies of Chris's that aren't being fulfilled either.

But...

Corinne Colbert boils that down too far. Yes there are days where you'll want to kill your spouse, but shouldn't there be days where you take joy in who he/she is? And using the term "settling" despite her Websters description of it, still carries the implication that you WANTED more, but just couldn't get there, so you just took what you could get.

She seems to be part of a movement that's a backlash against the over-romantacizing of marriage. There may not be rainbows every day, but on the flip side, it's hardly drudgery every day either. That's certainly not what I've seen in my parents marriage, or my aunts and uncles, and it's really not what I've experienced thus far in ours. Things get tough at times, but there's also a lot to be said for knowing that someone you love has your back. So somewhere in the middle, is the truth. Somedays are diamonds, somedays are rock.

2 Comments:

At June 12, 2007 at 8:52 PM, Blogger Your Friendly Neighborhood HR Dude said...

I freaking love being married, and can't imagine my life without diane.

We grew up together, and have surely had our ups and down, especially in that first apartment, but that forged us.

being married rules. For me anyway, I can imagine with the wrong partner it wouldn't be as nice, but that means you made a mistake, not "settled" or maybe you did, but you settled because you liked the idea of marriage more than the person you were committing to spend the rest of your life with...

sorry so long...

 
At June 14, 2007 at 7:38 AM, Blogger MyHusbandRules said...

No apologies necessary - I'm with you, brother!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home