Friday, May 04, 2007

Love song

This is just a little love letter to…. Country music. Yes, yes, I know, that most of you just threw up a little in your mouth. There are a few exceptions – as the question at the bike shop used to be – what fag doesn’t like Johnny Cash? And I know Patsy Cline on occasion is allowed to pass as acceptable. But most of my friends would sooner have their fingernails gnawed off by rodents than attend a country music concert. But for me, country music is the sound track of my growing up. Certain songs come up on the radio and they remind me of hot summer days back when I was all skinny arms and legs, playing in the sprinkler, washing the car, and helping my Dad with yard work. And considering I’m totally a daddy’s girl, those are really precious memories for me.
When I hear this song I am instantly transported. Which is unfortunate when you come to and realize you’re still sitting in rush hour traffic.

Sometimes my soul gets weary and my mind begins to wonder

And like that old train “The Hummingbird” it goes to Alabam

They say home is where the heart is and mine is down in Dixie

And when you head for Dixie you're heading for higher ground

Growing up I changed my music to more pop and rock, so I have a big blank spot on my knowledge of country from about the mid 80s to 2000. But with XM, I now have radio stations that play some of those old favs from when I was 7.

These days I don’t listen to much contemporary country music, but I have to admit to have a big warm spot in my heart for Toby Keith. Toby and I would never be buds. But when I listen to him, I hear a lot of the guys I used to know, back in my so-non-liberal-elite growing up days. And I love the lyrics for his songs. C’mon “A High Maintenace Woman don’t want no maintenance man”? And of course there’s the ultimate classic… “I wanna talk about me”. Everyone’s been in that situation, right? Where occasionally…I wanna talk about me!

So yes, this is another confession to being uncool. I've decided that I better get used to it. In a few years if I haven’t outed myself, my kid surely will.

1 Comments:

At May 4, 2007 at 10:28 AM, Blogger Jen Ambrose said...

I love the new Keith Urban. It is awesome. Get it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home