Monday, December 11, 2006

Grinding my Teeth

Sigh, and so the Christmas wars go on.

Seattle airport took down their Christmas trees because a Rabbi threatened to sue if they didn’t put a menorah up. Rather than bow to ANY holiday, and future other lawsuits, they took everything down.

People behaving poorly here:
1. Dude who sued to make what is basically a secular holiday, expand to include everyone’s holiday of choice
2. Seattle airport admin who basically exhibited a fit of pique
3. The lawyer who said they were afraid that this would make the Jews look like a grinch. Well duh. They called a lawyer to dispute a frickin' decoration in a frickin' airport. If they don't want to look like a grinch, maybe it's time to call a PR dude. The lawyer isn't cutting it.

Look…. If I wish you a Merry Christmas, this is not an assault on your right to believe in Earth Mother, God, Buddha, Moses, or the healing power of beer. This is me, from my culture, wishing you the joy of a holiday that’s very special to me. I do want you to be happy, and for there to be peace on earth. If you wish me a happy Hanukah, I don’t feel the urge to call a lawyer. If you want me to wallow in your Ramadan sorrow, er, ok. Wish me happy festivus, and I won't remind you that Seinfeld finished it's run YEARS ago, but accept your good wishes with a cheerful wave.

The sad reality is this kind of stuff is only an issue because people are bound and determined to feel victimized. And sometimes I sympathize, this is not a great time in our country's history to be a Christian, either. But if you feel offended that a Christmas tree is in an airport, I’ll understand that you need me to change my “Merry Christmas” to something else.

Get.Over.It, everyone! And a Happy New Year!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home