Friday, December 08, 2006

Burly Mechanic Girl

When Chris got back from the races last weekend, he mentioned that Bessy the battery for the Honda was (ahem) terminal.

Having just survived a million, billion car and dog bills the previous week, I was keeping my fingers crossed that the battery would limp along until the next pay period. But last night it became apparent that the number of starts left in that battery was in the low single digits. I even parked the car nose out, so that we could jump it this morning. If you have ever seen our driveway, you know what a feat that is.

So at lunch today I was off to Pep Boys for a new battery. Except when I got there, it was a 2 1/2 hour wait. And no appointments, they were only first come first served. Then it was off to Walmart. Another 2 1/2 hour wait. I was starting to call Chris to come out and install a new battery when one of the service guys offered to show me what needed to be done. All I had to do was remove or loosen 4 bolts. Sweet. I bought myself a battery, and a wrench and decided to change it myself.

The thing they don't tell you when you take on these little tasks is that it helps if you're not incredibly, mechanically inept. I have troubles driving a nail. I'm the queen of the 90 minute bike tire change. The first thing I found out is that two of the little rods that hold the battery in place weren't permanently held there. So the minute I unscrewed the bolts, the little rods fell through the engine. But not all the way to the ground where they would be easy to pick up. Noooo, they were in some tray located under some doohickey near a fan. Mind that I'm in my work clothes. And I'm not a mechanic at work. And then I learned to curse like a mechanic. The next thing I discovered is that automotive work when it's 20 degrees out becomes more of a challenge. Unscrewing and re-screwing fine pieces when your fingers are numb? Fabulous. But ultimately I wrestled the old battery out and the new battery in.

Then I took the old battery back in so I could get my core deposit back. And asked for a job application.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home