Monday, October 23, 2006

Thoughts from the week

It’s been a really long week, so I’m just randomly writing things down. In no specific order…

CyclocrossWorld.com team was parked behind us at the Wissahickon race. That means that Lynne Bessette, an international class racer in both road and cyclocross, and Tim Johnson, who’s a cyclocross king were floating around their tent. I had Fred tied out while I puttered around the car. Lynne came over and petted him for a few minutes, which Fred took with his usual sangfroid. My husband would have given his ears for that opportunity. When I came over a little bit later, Fred greeted me with a full body wag. My dog is the only being in the world who thinks I’m cooler than Lynne Bessette

It’s been awesome seeing everyone. Our only regret is we didn’t get to spend much time with anyone.

Chris had just tagged on with the top 5 group at the Granogue race when his chain came off the cog. Just like that he lost 10 places and he spent the rest of the race trying to make it up. Such is cyclocross.

The women’s races this weekend were AMAZING. Katie Compton – US Cyclocross Champion, Lynne Bessette – Canadian National Champ, and Georgia Goulde – US NORBA champion. Granogue was a lot less tight than I expected with Katie Compton running away with first place. Good for her! She previously couldn’t race UCI because she was part of a tandem in the Paralympics. So it was fabulous to see her do well in front of her hometown crowd. There was a lot of celebrating in Delaware last night, I’m sure! I’m pretty excited to see someone challenging Lynne Bessette. I like her a lot, but racing is better when there are multiple people at the same level.

Adam “Spanky” won at Granogue yesterday – which was awesome. He pulled 3rd today at Wiss. It’s absolutely fabulous to see a stalwart in the Bs doing well. He and Chris have raced together for years. The best part today - he won the really small cross bike. Spanky's over 6'. I hope he has a great season. Although I’d still like to see Chris beat him now and again.

I had a chance to pit for Sean Harshman, a guy we met in Cincinnati last weekend. He was really cool, and I met his girlfriend today. She seemed really nice too. I love cyclocross for that – you meet the most amazing people.

Fred is really tired – he’s been around dogs (including Baker!) all week, covered 2500 miles of travel, and probably missed 16 hours of naps a day. Like the rest of us, he’s going to be thuh-rilled to be home with access to normal eating and sleeping patterns and his own bed.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home