Wednesday, November 09, 2005

Mrs Miniver by Jan Struther

I actually picked this book up because the movie was supposed to have been so very good. And I figured a book written in 1939 during WWII in England had to have some interest. But the writing style is ultimately what did me in. I'm all about sunshine and light, but this reminded me so much of a 1950s cookbook. Instead of flowing, the story was told in sequential vignettes, and recorded Mrs Miniver's (and her family's) life leading up to the war. The movie, as it turns out was about life DURING the war. I don't know if there was a sequel, but I do know that while I am a shallow person, I'm not ready for more 1950s fluffiness. On to the next books, and I'll just have to do without Mrs Miniver.

In the Hopper
Confessions by St Augustine
The Last of the Plantagenets by Thomas B. Costain
Hardball, Life on the Streets by Daniel Coyle
Waking Samuel by Daniel Coyle

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home