Sunday, November 06, 2005

Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister by Gregory Maguire

This just wasn't one of those books that really jumped out and grabbed me. Gregory Maguire is better known for "Wicked", which I haven't read yet. I liked his overall take on the Cinderella story, I thought it was pretty cool. But I still found myself plodding through this book. I'm not sure I can put my finger on why - Iris, one of the ugly stepsisters, is an awesome character, and Ruth is just sort of background. But I think my main problem is I didn't like Cinderella. I couldn't get into her head, and ultimately I was as impatient with her as the wicked stepmother was. (I'm not sure what this says about me).

So it's not a book I would discourage anyone from reading, but probably not one that would ever show up under the heading "You must get this book! It's fabulous!

In the Hopper
Books
Confessions by St Augustine
The Last of the Plantagenets by Thomas B. Costain
Hardball, Life on the Streets by Daniel Coyle
Waking Samuel by Daniel Coyle
Mrs Miniver by Jan Struther

Movies
Hero
Along Came a Spider
The Chorus (Les Choristes)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home