Monday, November 14, 2005

Loverly

It was such a beautiful weekend. This was a road trip to visit my little brother in Connecticut and check out some races.

Saturday morning was one of those moments my Dad refers to as a moment of grace. And I know that's not original to him, but he's the one who told me about, so he gets the credit. It was the ultimate fall morning - a thick frost on the fields, but the trees were sporting brilliant yellow leaves. The sun was out, and the sky was pristine. The dog and I crunched and whooshed our way around the fields, but not too far distant, we could hear the hunters shooting at small game of some sort and yelling to their dogs. Just about the point my dog was really starting to get nervous (he's a lover, not a hunter), a deer came bounding out of the woods. Alas, I couldn't appreciate the beauty of Bambi because Fuzzbutt, never being one to miss an opportunity, was after him (like a shot! heh...). Injured front leg and all, he managed to chase the deer across a somewhat busy road, and out of site. Before I could even get up to the road to guide his return trip, back he came, tail held high with a big doggy smile on his face.

I started Confessions this weekend. I'm in over my head! First problem was trying to figure out what a Manachee is. I've found it now:
As a Manachee, Augustine believed that both God and the principle of evil were some sort of material substances, neither deriving its existence from the other. Evil, although somehow smaller than God, was, nevertheless, infinite and presented a real problem for God to overcome in the course of his cosmic existence


Anyway, so apparently in his wicked youth, that's what Augustine was. Sigh. Not even through Book 1 yet. This could take a while.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home