Sunday, September 16, 2007

Perverse

One thing that's been a real adventure with this motherhood thing is that I need the ability to wake from a sound sleep and figure out what my baby wants, usually within a few seconds if I don't want full scale shrieking to begin.

Last night the whimpering had started, so I offered him a bit to eat from the left side. NO! NO! NO! WRONG! and the whimpering progressed into whining. So it was off to the changing table. Where I discovered that his diaper was dry. NO! NO! Now the screaming was in full force and the whole family was awake. Ginger, who much to our surprise has shown that she had room in her pea brain for a spark of maternal instinct, fled the room for the first time since I'd brought the baby home.

Now, I'm stumped. He doesn't want food and his diaper is dry? So maybe we'll try the right side. Except...at this point Porter is well and truly pissed. He's had to endure a diaper check and this incompetent doesn't know what he wants. And because he's been unswaddled to check his diaper, the angry flail has begun. In desperation I decide to try the right side's food offerings. But now I have to get past the ninja hands, and I'm getting pretty beat up in the process. On the plus side he hasn't landed any blows on his own face, so that's good. Finally I manage to get food to baby mouth and the crying and flailing ceases immediately. I guess the left side offering was unacceptable, but the right is O.K.

Just goes to prove what I always suspected as a single women. Boys are perverse.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home