Monday, April 02, 2007

My Sweet Jesus

Some artist was supposed to unveil a chocolate sculpture of Jesus in some hotel in Manhattan this week.

Yawn. Must be Easter week. Something of this sort happens every Easter. I remember the "Thornbirds" getting shown Easter week when I was a teenager. Makes the swallows returning to Capistrano look unreliable.

Said artist claims that the Catholic League's objection amounts to a Catholic fatwa because the show got cancelled.

Snort. Giggle.

Dude, you only got one Catholic group to respond with public cries of outrage? No, really, just one? Do you know how many Catholic groups are out there, none of which are acting in concert? If your little art show could only get one Catholic group to rise to the bait, it really says far more about the insignificance of your "art" than it does about "fatwas".

At least he'll have plenty of chocolate for Easter.

4 Comments:

At April 2, 2007 at 4:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

No kidding! I think the whole thing is stupid, and as a Christian, I find it offensive (mainly because it is obviously *intended* to be offensive, not because there is anything inherently offensive about a chocolate Jesus), but for pete's sake, don't give the artist any more publicity than he's already getting. It's a childish, silly stunt and best handled by ignoring it and him.

 
At April 2, 2007 at 7:01 PM, Blogger MyHusbandRules said...

Yeah, I figure the show is cancelled, so it's safe to mention it. Usually I'm totally with you. I tend to ignore the religion-as-stunt people. While complaining bitterly to my hubby, of course!

 
At April 3, 2007 at 8:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, I didn't mean *you!* ("Don't give the artist any more publicity.") Sorry!!! That was the generic implied "you" as in the Catholic League and the Cardinal, etc. I am so sorry! I did not write that well at all!

 
At April 4, 2007 at 7:39 AM, Blogger MyHusbandRules said...

Oh no worries, I always feel guilty giving any publicity to these yahoos, so I lumped myself in! :) Really, if their "art" had any value, these publicity stunts wouldn't be necessary.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home