Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Why Cycling Warms my Heart

There is plenty I don’t like about bike racers. Having been around the racing scene for the last 6 years, both as a racer and as a spectator, I’ve seen some seriously bad behavior. I’ve seen people who are so completely self-centered that they don’t care who they step on to further their hobby. People who think sponsors should be grateful for their Cat 3, 4, or 5 presence in a race. People who are given something for free and then complain that it’s not something way cooler for free. A personal fav is the guy who wouldn’t let his son pick up his prize for his race, so that the son could hurry up and get in the pit for the father’s race. The priorities can just get a little twisted with all of that adrenaline on high surge.


But having started with the caveat, I have to say I looove that it’s such an accessible sport. This past weekend, a former teammate of Chris’s finished only two spots behind Chris Horner. In other words, a dude from central Pennsylvania finished only two spots behind a guy who rode in the Tour de France. This warms the little cockles of my heart. This would be sort of like your local flag football team making the quarter finals against NFL teams. (with less injuries in cycling, of course!).

Labels:

3 Comments:

At November 15, 2006 at 4:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

thanks sunshine! thats a nice post. you probably didn't hear it, but after mr. pro passed me, i started growling at him on a switchback. He laughed in a sorta 'ahhh shit, you wanna come and chase me ?' funny kinda sorta way.
dieter

 
At November 16, 2006 at 4:24 AM, Blogger Johnny K said...

you're a stud giving Horner a hard time. kudos bro.

 
At November 16, 2006 at 7:52 AM, Blogger MyHusbandRules said...

:) I love it! It's good to keep Mr Horner a bit humble!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home