Sunday, November 12, 2006

Steelers

Some friends had tickets to today's Steeler's game, so I went to hang out with them for a while before they went into the stadium. It's a lot of fun being in a crowd that's just excited to be there, openly cheering for their team, just having a good time. God bless the Saints fans, though, they were cracking me up. I overheard two sets of Saints fans commiserating in the cold:
"I could use some Gumbo right about now. They have chili but they don't have gumbo."
"No, really, you wouldn't want the gumbo they make up here..."

At another point a Saints fan yelled
"God bless FEMA! I've got 6' of water in my house, but I'm in Pittsburgh drinking beer!" Natural Light to be specific. I think defining that as beer is probably a bit generous.

Fox Sports was broadcasting their half time show here today. That means Howie Long, Jimmy Johnson and Terry Bradshaw were here. In this area, the primary religion is Steeler's-mania, and in the pantheon of gods, Terry Bradshaw is one of the biggest. So I was a little disappointed that all he offered the crowd was a 10 second wave before they went on, and then when it was over, he exited with nary a glance towards the screaming fans. Maybe he was enroute to an autograph signing with handicapped kids or something, but a pause and a wave on the way out doesn't seem like it would have been overly taxing. I don't care, I'm more of a Rocky Bleier woman myself, but it seemed ungracious.

All in all, being with the maniacs was actually quite fun. I got to see the CMU bagpipes and drums corp in action, watched the crowds, and then went home to my nice warm house to enjoy the game on the computer.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home