Saturday, November 04, 2006

Turning a corner

After Fred spent yesterday looking like he wanted to jump off the roof, I'm happy to say that today has been much better. I credit taking them both to the ball field and letting Fred kick Ginger's ass. Sounds harsh, but all day yesterday Ginger collected his bones, barked at him, pushed him around, climbed on him, and Fred scarcely uttered a peep. Instead he moped and was seen surfing realtor.com looking for a new place to live. This morning I took them to the ball field, and let them both off the leash. Fred charged her, rolled her a few times and grabbed her by the neck. As long as no injury was being done, I let him. When she cried, I called an end to the beating, and Fred pranced home very proud of himself. It sounds cruel, but I was afraid he'd totally snap at some point otherwise and do Ginger some injury. She needed to be reminded who the big dog in the house is. Since then, they've played tug of war and run around the house for a few minutes. Nothing huge, but a step in the right direction. And Fred's not returning the calls from the realtor.

Chris looked at the little monster a few minutes ago and said "I think we'll keep you." So I guess she's officially our little girl now, and the guys are prepared to waive their initial objections. She's definitely a different character than Fred, and a bit of an adjustment. I keep telling Chris "She's getting the idea of house training" approximately a nano-second before he finds the next puddle. Drats. But she's a smart little pup, so I have high hopes that she'll figure it out.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home