Thursday, September 14, 2006

Retirement

My Dad retires in 2 weeks. What a surreal thought that is. In my head, my father is still in his late 30s, hosing down the hill next to our house in the dead of winter so we will go faster when we sled down it. To this day the chain link fence at the end of the sled run is bowed from where we hit it at about a million miles an hour. The neighbors are still amazed that we didn’t go through.

Anyway, a few days ago, he forwarded the trip itinerary for their first post-retirement trip. Dad began his time in the professional work world making schedules for plane lines at McDonnell Douglass. So when my brother and I were little, his itineraries were masterpieces of detail.

9:32AM: Pull into rest stop in Cape Girardeau MO
9:41AM: Leave Cape Girardeau MO

Thankfully he’s lightened up a bit in his old age. In reviewing the latest masterpiece, though, my eyes were drawn to the very bottom where total miles driven existed. 2564 miles in 2 weeks. Holy mackerel. He could drive from one coast to the other with that kind of mileage. In the course of all of that driving they’re going to see my bro, Hershey PA, Niagara Falls, Cooperstown NY, Lexington & Concord MA, the Norman Rockwell Museum in Stockbridge MA and Adams National Historic Park. When they visit him, I have no doubt my brother will take them on a prolonged hike sure to crush their souls. I’ve told them both that when they’re at our place, there will be muchas vegging for them. And on their return swing through our place, they’re welcome to stay an extra day or two should they so desire. But they have to be back for a K of C bash a few days later, so flexibility is limited.

I think retirement is going to suit Dad to a T. It’s just a question of whether he’s going to completely run Mom into the ground in the process.

1 Comments:

At September 16, 2006 at 5:04 AM, Blogger Vica said...

Wow, that's an ambitious trip. I hope they enjoy themselves. Your Dad apparently has no capability to become one of the "sit on the porch in the rocker" retirees! Good for him.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home