Friday, August 04, 2006

More things I don't understand

Ok, so this post is all about how I don't get it. My very, very, very limited understanding from the news I can't seem to avoid watching about the current Israeli-Lebanese thing is:
1. Hezbollah (Hisbollah) - kidnapped two Israeli soldiers and fired rockets into Israel from Lebanon
2. The Lebanese government, and presumably at least a portion of the Lebanese population don't want Hezbollah (Hisbollah) - although the news reports make it sound like MOST of the Lebanese population don't like H(H).
3. Lebanese society (and Middle-Eastern society in general) promotes a highlevel of machoness.
4. Lebanese civilians are being killed as a result of the retaliation from Israel. Israeli civilians are dying as a result of the retaliation from H(H).
5. The Israeli men are fighting back (see 4). The Lebanese who are not Hezbollah (Hisbollah) fans aren't doing anything about H(H) other than asking for help.

These things don't go together for me. Where are the Lebanese men? Their families are dying because of the "intruder" H(H). What are the macho Lebanese men doing? I'm pretty sure that my understanding of the situation is faulty because I'd have to believe that if the Lebanese people really didn't want to support H(H), they'd be cutting deals with Israel. "You get the southern quarter of Lebanon and pound it to bits while we watch the roads from Syria to make sure no rockets come through. Any H(H) found north of the Southern Quarter will be jailed (or summarily executed)." Instead all I've heard is whining about civilians being killed in Lebanon. C'mon gentlemen, time to cowboy up.

If your kid invited gang-bangers to stay in your living room, would you be complaining to the press because the police showed up? No way. You'd be cutting the freon for the AC to make it more uncomfortable in your house, and lacing their coke with sleeping pills and rat poison, while cutting a deal with the swat team not to come in shooting. (Maybe that's just me)

So my question is, which one of those 5 points is wrong?

1 Comments:

At August 7, 2006 at 10:28 AM, Blogger jau said...

Well said!! I wish I'd put it that way myself. Thank you!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home