Monday, August 28, 2006

Another Katrina Survivor

So I emailed a friend with whom I had lost touch. We were never best buddies, but we just had that casual friendship where we would show up at each other’s parties, drink each other’s alcohol, but maybe not share our deepest fears or secrets.

Anyway, she was on a mutual friend’s mailing list for a recent email, and knowing she had moved to New Orleans a few years ago, I thought I’d check in on her. And now I’m feeling really bad that I didn’t make a greater effort to follow up with her immediately after Katrina. Her house was flood damaged which meant a total gut of the inside. She got started early, so fortunately it was completed in 8 months. She stayed with a Houston friend for four months, and these days she’s struggling with the high cost of everything in the N.O. area. She’s not sure she can afford to stay. It does make me wonder if of all of those people who moved back, whether a lot of them are going to get driven out again because basic survival is beyond their reach.

Here's hoping she makes it!

Update: I was talking with Tammie, and she mentioned:
I've been watching shows lately about NO and I think that it will become the oasis/hide away for the very rich and none of the locals will be able to afford it.

In other words...it'll become California.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home