Saturday, August 26, 2006

30 Days

I really like Morgan Spurlock a lot. So when his TV show "Thirty Days" came out on DVD, I put it on our Netflix list tout suite. The basic premise of the first show was he lived on minimum wage for 30 days in Columbus OH with his fiancee. Just as in his movie "Supersize Me", he manages to blend humor and despair in his show. It makes for interesting viewing, and definitely makes you think. One of the things they talked about in the show was not having insurance. How naive and sheltered am I? It wasn't until within the last year that I realized how many people I know who either don't have health insurance themselves, or have family who don't have health insurance. To me, that's a frightening thing, especially as I approach the age where apparently body parts start falling off. In the show when they both ended up in the E.R. at one point or another, it ended up costing them a total of $1200. And that's not even for serious stuff. It makes me worry about insurance-less friends!

Another interesting thought experiment was "What is the least amount I could feed Chris and I on if I had to?" I think I could feed us dinner for a week reasonably well for $25. Then if you throw in cereal and milk for breakfast, call that another $5 (Cheerios, we luv ya!), peanut butter & bread another $5, so probably the first week would be $35. It would definitely mean leftovers, and things like pastas and chili that can be made in bulk and eaten in two days. And I could go even cheaper if I didn't include ground beef (although I would split it over three days). Some of those things are staples though, so maybe the second week would be cheaper. And since I was trying to figure if I had to start from scratch, it could definitely get cheaper in the second week when I had things like cooking oil, onion, peanut butter, and garlic leftover from the first week.

Anyway - worth a watch!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home