Thursday, February 02, 2006

Delay of Game

Christine and I have been working on this running program which is supposed to get you up to 30 min continuous in 8 weeks.

It breaks down like this:
Week 1 Run one min, walk 90 seconds. Repeat eight times. Do three times a week.
Week 2 Run two mins, walk one min. Repeat seven times. Do three times a week.
Week 3 Run three mins walk one mins. Repeat six times. Do three times a week.
Week 4 Run five mins, walk two mins. Repeat four times. Do three times a week.
Week 5 Run eight mins, walk two mins. Repeat three times. Do three times a week.
Week 6 Run 12 mins, walk one min. Repeat three times. Do three times a week.
Week 7 Run 15 mins, walk one min, Run fifteen mins. Do three times a week
Week 8 Run 30 mins continuously.

Ahem.

This week we're on Week 3. But I’m definitely going to have stay back a grade. Monday was a disaster and I only completed 5 of the 6 reps. Today’s run went better, but still not great. First 3 reps were fine, but I walked 90s instead of 1 min after the third one. Then I miscounted my run, so the 4th rep was only 2.5 min. Walked 2 min, 5th rep was fine, walked 2 min and only ran 2 min on the last rep. It sucks. I was just exhausted, face was fire red, gasping for air… It’s not like I’m running quickly, either, but I’m still way more miserable than I’ve been. These are 11-ish min miles, so not precisely Roger Bannister stuff. I think this is a tribute to how little cardio I’ve actually been doing the last few weeks, with more consistency on things that I can do easily at home, like pilates. Not that I want to cut the other stuff, it’s just going to be a bit of a curve to bring my cardio up to snuff as well. Anyway, today was better than Monday, I got 16.5 min running today as opposed to Monday’s 15 min.

Anyway, I went to the workout going “no way I’m just going to repeat this week, I’m going to really fight for that next step.” By the 5th rep, I thought, “Wow, I’m going to repeat this week.” What I may do is this weekend just go out and run without worrying about how long the intervals are. Just to sort of get my head cleared and not freak myself out, but still workout. If I do well on Monday, I’ll try to lengthen two intervals on Wed & Fri just to bring the overall running time to be the same as 5 min interval week. I’m shooting for 20 min of running by Friday, just different interval lengths.

Grrr.

But hey, I'm up to 45 situps on the exercise ball, and that's really not pushing to failure. So the pilates is working!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home