Monday, January 28, 2008

SYM

I found this article to be fascinating. And that’s primarily because it ties in nicely to my personal theory of happiness. Essentially, you can’t be happy if you’re the most important thing in your life. Awkwardly phrased, I know.

Where this little bit of profundity comes from is years of watching guys in their 20s (mmmm, guys in their 20s…I mean, no! wait!) flounder emotionally. The ones who seemed the happiest (truly happy, even when they aren’t drinking) are the ones who are committed to something other than (and more important than) themselves. For some it’s religion, for others it’s a significant other or their family, for others, it’s a cause. The guys who have nothing other than themselves to worry about seem, at best, restless, and at worst, miserable. I guess sitting around thinking “Am I happy yet?” doesn’t lend itself to actually being happy.

Oh and while I’ve seen it most in men, we women are not immune. Life amongst us single women can be pretty miserable as well. Most of my friends want(ed) to be involved with someone. And that can make for equally miserable, restless people. But I think the difference is, most of the women I know wanted to be in a committed relationship, and want a life beyond sitting around with other chicks, bashing men. Alas, a lot of guys treat commitment like there’s only 4 letters there, and the tension builds....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home