Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Operating Instructions by Anne Lamott

I've read this book already once before and laughed my head off. It's a diary of Anne Lamott's first year as a single mom to her baby Sam. Now I'm re-reading and going "ew....really?" And it also makes me realize that I'm really, really glad that I'm not doing the single mom thing. I don't know how women do it. I'm so dependent right now on Chris to keep the house together, because my idea of a craaaazy evening is to flop around trying to find the position that best allows me to breathe. I can't even imagine doing it all myself once the baby is born. So as funny as I found this book when I was single and childless, now it's definitely gotten a more poignant tinge to it as I imagine how I would respond to certain situations. But hysterical.

We were laughing the other day that I'm probably the first woman in history NOT to get the nesting instinct. I'm more of a cuckoo bird than you thought. Cuckoos wait for other birds to build their nest, and then they go lay their eggs in them. "How about you nest, I'll take advantage of it." Good thing our parents came in and took care of the whole nesting thing for me. Phew! Instead my nesting instinct has taken the form of going over and over and over finances obsessively. I've been fine tuning our budget down to the dollar for each pay period for the next year. I've moved money from account to account. I've plotted how grey my hair can get before I go back to get my hair done. I've talked to the short term disability people so much that they've taken to asking me "um....why are you calling?" So if that counts as nesting, I'm all over it. Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go troll the arcade to see if anyone dropped any quarters.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home