Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Bourg d'Oisans

The Tour is climbing Alpe D'Huez today, going through the little town at the base, Bourg d'Oisans. A few years ago I was there enroute to Deux Alpes. We stopped at the little grocery store to get some Tour watchin' chow - aka anything other than Jambon et Fromage, ham and cheese sandwiches which were sold on every frickin' climb in the Tour. Tammie and I ate a LOT of Jambon et Fromage. And it sounds sooo much better when you say it in French than the reality was. Dry ham and cheese is dry ham and cheese regardless of the country.

I like grocery shopping in Europe, because it's a small step away from the standard tourist thing. Being a good American, I'm usually cramming in all of the highlights of Europe because I may never come back. But sometimes in all of that Eiffel Tour-Arc-de-Triomphe-Louvre kind of sight seeing, I just crave a moment of reality - even if it isn't my normal day to day life. But what I will always remember about the grocery store is buying croissants in a small town in the southeast of France and preparing to watch the Tour while the store blared Eminem over those muzak speakers. Awesome.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home