Sunday, June 25, 2006

Ride #3

Yes, yes I've racked up my third bike ride of the year. Hold your applause.... This time, having conquered a flat 15 ish mile ride, and a short mountain bike ride, I went on a 30 mile, rolling hill disease ride. Except it wasn't to raise money to cure some disease, it would to raise money for a school that works with ...er...developmentally challenged (mentally handicapped?) kids. I never know what the proper description is. I know that what I grew up hearing would probably have my fired from my job and spit upon by children.

Anyway, it went pretty well. I was expecting to step off my bike at the end totally decimated. But other than being sore, I felt pretty good. It's a funny thing about getting into cycling around here. When I first really started riding as an adult, I lived in Houston. Which is dead flat. So other than a sore butt and occasionally a sore back, I never experienced aches and pains associated with riding. But here you can throw in sore quads. I duck walked a bit before I got my land legs back. It's an interesting crew that goes out on disease rides - we saw a soft ride with a kick stand, and then there was the poor woman who was about 7 miles in to the ride while we were returning. She asked "Is it flat from here?" to which we decisively responded "Yes!" Although the worst was yet to come. There was the 12 year old boy on the Trek 1000 that was far too big for him. Poor kid's back was killing him and no wonder. Then there was the little kid on a Trek 220 who was coming into the rest stop just as we were leaving. It amazes me sometimes what these really little kids can do. Especially when I'm struggling myself.

Funny thing about this ride - it came so fully stocked with food at the rest stop and at the end that I probably gained weight. Mmmm tasty white-chocolate-macadamia nut cookies.

Hmm, who knows, maybe I'll even try to squeeze in another ride this week. I know, I know, getting all crazy and all....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home