Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Petfinder Pimp


My friend Christine and I always joke that we're Petfinder Pimps because we tell EVERYONE we know about using petfinder.com to find shelter dogs. So yesterday I did a little petfinder surfing, then wandered over to the local animal rescue website where I've volunteered in the past. But I didn't inhale, I swear! Anyway, there on the rescue website was Wolfie, an Irish Wolfhound mix. I knew that Chris's friend Rick and his girlfriend, Ros, were interested in an IW, so I emailed Chris who gave them the heads up. When we went to check him out, it was love at first sight. Alas, Wolfie doesn't like anyone other than adult humans, which wasn't going to work well with their two dogs, two goats, and nieces/nephews. And there went my reputation as a doggy matchmaker.

On the plus side, a few cages down was Emma, a great pyrenees... So they may or may not go back and get her. Ros was sold, Rick not so much. But I'm hoping that it works out for both Emma and them, it would be awesome to be instrumental in freeing a doggy from a cage. Plus they have a bit of property, so not only would she not be in the animal shelter, she'd be some place where she could roam free.

Fingers crossed!

While we were there, the people who work there were showing us Brother, a rescue dog who is a 5 month old lab mix puppy of Hurricane Katrina. After the hurricane while all of those dogs were running free, there was a population explosion. Now they're in the process of trying to round up those guys too and get them all spayed/neutered before the entire area is over run with strays. He was such a cutie.

Next to Brother is a SEVERELY undernourished Rotty named Blue. Poor guy, I've never seen a dog in quite that bad a condition. Believe it or not, this photo of him is flattering. I want to take him home just because he deserves so much better than the life he's obviously had. He looked like a skeleton model, you could see every bone in his body. Some people really aren't worth the powder to blow them to hell. The bad thing is he's been at the shelter for a month, I'm sure he was in worse shape when he came in.

We won't even talk about the two month old golden retriever pup who - as all golden retriever puppies are - was absolutely adorable

"Hi, I'm Cheryl, and I'm addicted to dogs."

It's with great restraint that I left without adding to the population count at our house.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home