Thursday, March 09, 2006

Organic Grass Fed Beef

Hmmm. I'm thinking the Crunchy Cons book may have had more of an influence than I thought. Or maybe it's the crunchies plus a lot of the nutrition reading I've been doing.

The other day I found myself looking up local cattle farms to see if there's a close place from which to get our beef. I stumbled across VanBuren's farm which isn't terribly far from us, offers grass-fed beef which is raised organically (although they can't certify the calves that they buy elsewhere). A lot of the nutrition books claim that we're losing the Omega 3s from our diet when we eat grain fed beef instead of grassfed. From the crunchy con standpoint, organic and local are big pluses because of lower chemicals in the environment and less fuel inefficiency. And hey, for the big crowning touch, it's a family farm. John Cougar Mellencamp would be proud.

The catch to all of this is I haven't tasted this yet. I'm thinking I'll place a small order after we get back from our trip to France to see if it meets two criteria:
1. It tastes good. Those omega 3s do us no good if Fred's eating them.
2. We can afford it.

It is a lot more expensive than Shop & Save's 4 packs of meat for $20. Having said that, Shop & Save meat violates the number 1 rule which is why it's so cheap. I was NOT impressed with the stuff I bought there recently.

Why do I see us eating this organic grass-fed beef with a side of ramen noodles though?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home