Monday, February 27, 2006

Upstairs/Downstairs

I'm in the process of reading two books (would be more if I didn't think my brain would explode. My downstairs book (aka the one I read when I get a few spare minutes in my day) is "Animals in Translation" which so far has been a surprisingly good read about how this woman uses her autism to identify with animals. Her job is to work at stock yards to find reasons why animals balk at doing things like walk into the squeeze box to get shots. When they balk, they get zapped, so she's hoping for more humane treatment when they behave better.

The upstairs book, though, has the best title ever. Basically, I love it because the title fills up the whole front of the book. "Crunchy Cons: how birkenstocked burkeans, gun-loving organic gardeners, evangelical free-range farmers, hip homeschooling mamas, right-wing nature lovers and their diverse tribe of countercultural conservatives plan to save America (or at least the Republican Party)" Since both Chris and I qualify (essentially it translates to "conservative hippy"), I figured it was worth a read. For Chris, he's determined to read it even though it sets his teeth on edge just hearing the term "crunchy con." In other words, look for me to walk around the house the next few days going "Crunchyconcrunchyconcrunchycon".

Ah, the joy of books.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home