Monday, January 23, 2006

All Right, People

Look, it's time we had a talk. You - skulking off to another blog - get back here. NOW.

Here's the deal. In general I don't discuss politics or religion. Religion happens more than politics, but that's part of the territory because my brother is becoming a priest. So I spend time heading off the inevitable priest pedophilia jokes. I find it's best if people know up front that my brother is in the seminary because it spares me grinding my teeth to a nub at some point during the evening.

But this politics thing

Look, we're probably friends because we value some similar things. The problem is that we don't always agree on how to get there. So when you're proclaiming from the rooftops how right and obvious this is...well... that may not be the case. And it's putting me in a position of either outright contradicting you, or else squirming in silence and resenting that I have to squirm in silence. Depending on how bad the PMS is, you could get either of those reactions.

Today's adventure was a friend telling me how horrified she was that a co-worker of ours has a toy tank sitting on his desk along with the pictures of his kids. First of all, the man is ex-military, I think he's probably earned the right to put a freakin' tank on his desk should he so desire. Secondly, my dad is not only ex-military, he also is a Boeing/McDonnell Douglas employee. I was raised by the military industrial complex. I tried for a ROTC scholarship, all the way to the point of having the medical exams. I had pictures of F-15s, Harriers, and Phantoms in my dorm room. I considered aeronautical engineering as a degree in college. And all I could do was squirm, mention Dad working for Boeing, and change the subject at the soonest possible time.

Just stop it. Let's reach an agreement. We can agree that we want some basic things:
Equality for all men and women
Food for the hungry
Homes for the homeless
Jobs for everyone
Good quality of life

But I don't really want to have you impose on me the means to get there. That's what the voting booth is for. Use it, and keep it a secret.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home