Saturday, November 24, 2007

Dirty Dozen

And as surely as Black Friday follows Thanksgiving, does Dirty Dozen Saturday follow Black Friday.

The Dirty Dozen is a 24 year Pittsburgh tradition. Every year a bunch of sickos ride the 13 toughest hills in Pittsburgh. Yes, they cannot count. Or they're all bakers. Anyway, babykins and I headed out to watch Chris ride Sycamore and Canton st.

First up: Sycamore. I remembered to bring my camera along to film it. Just before the riders got there, I tried to frame the shot only to see the battery light start flashing. Then as the riders approached, I shifted Porter in my arms, and he started crying. Which then distracted me in my filming so that I got an awful lot of the fine paving job on the side of the hill. After two attempts at filming the camera gave up the ghost all together.


Sigh.

Then I hung out with Chris and a few other friends that I haven't really had a chance to talk to this summer. Then it was off to Canton St, one of the contenders for the steepest street in the world. It's supposedly steeper than anything in San Francisco at 37.5%. It's a crazy street, and better than 1/2 the riders fell over on their sides when they ran out of energy part way up. Alas one such rider went straight into Chris on his way up, and knocked him over.

Steevo killed it and won the whole race handily. Chris got somewhere in the 5th or 6th place. So it was a good day, and a good time was had by all.

So if you're driving through Pittsburgh on the Saturday after Thanksgiving next year, and you see 100+ cyclists, you'll know that they're headed off to do something silly. Fun....but silly.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

At November 24, 2007 at 9:34 PM, Blogger Chris Mayhew said...

You hear that boy whine? He's already a cat 2!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home