Monday, March 12, 2007

Ch-ch-ch-changes

Last night we went out to dinner with a friend of Chris's from Louisville, the couple that introduced Chris & I, and another couple that I'd seen around at bike races, but didn't really know.

The two common threads between the three couples and the hostess were bicycling and hospitals. Three people in the room were either doctors or residents. Five were into cycling. And so the conversation tended to bounce back and forth between the two topics with occasional branches into dogs and babies (the couple that introduced us is expecting baby number 2 in 6 weeks). But it was strange to realize how out of the cycling world I have come after my pathetic foray into racing 5 or 6 years ago. I still knew the players, still knew the stories, but had nothing of my own to really add to the whole thing. Which isn't a complaint. I tend to be a quiet person, especially around those I don't know well. The conversation was fun to listen to, and everyone seemed to be enjoying themselves, so I was perfectly happy. But there was a time when I could have been in there talking training, dumb drivers, and race stories, and that's way, way in my past.

(Note: There was never a time when I could discuss medical stories. I get woozy when people use the word blood in conversation.)

I did manage to sneak a bike ride in yesterday. Of sorts. Up and down the jail trail. The ride was a whopping 6 miles, and I spent the whole way in fear of getting knocked over by a small child, a roller blader or the shift change at the jail. Hopefully once baby is born I won't be so chicken, but I'd hate to screw everything up with a dumb mistake. I'd still like to squeeze in a few more rides, especially if the weather is as good as yesterday, but I know there won't be a lot more chances.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home