Sunday, April 16, 2006

Happy Easter

Hard to believe that a week ago (give or take a few time zones) I was at Mass at a tiny church in Cobrieux. It couldn't have been more different than today's Mass at my church:
Cobrieux: Sat maybe 150, only one Mass all day
Here: Probably seats 500, five Masses today (not counting Saturday vigil)

Cobrieux: No pews, only chairs (the kind you'd find around a dining room or kitchen table). Most full
Here: Lots of pews, and because it was Easter, it was overflow crowd

Cobrieux: About 10 elderly people in their choir
Here: About 50 people in the choir accompanied by an organ, drums, and sundry other instruments

Cobrieux: One old dude pulling on the rope to ring the bell calling the faithful to Mass
Here: Recorded bell for the hurry up bell.

Cobrieux: French language
Here: English language

But I liked both weeks. I loved the simplicity of last week's Mass, and lavishness of Easter Mass today. I like that I can go to any country and follow the basic outline of the Mass. Because I know enough French, and am familiar enough with the readings we had last week, I had a feel for what was going on. But there's certainly a lot to be said for hearing it in your own language and understanding the homily!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home