Wednesday, April 26, 2006

40 hours

Somewhere about mid March I decided to add on to my NY resolutions. This year's resolution is to put in 40 hours of volunteer time for the year. 46 weeks of work to put food on my table, 1 week of work to help others. Seems sort of modest. Except now I'm well into the 2nd quarter of the year, and I only have 8 hours done. Zoips! Sigh, just spent time on the Hands On Network website for the local volunteer clearinghouse and signed up for a few different things in May. 9 more volunteer hours. So that means if I put in 3-4 hours a month for the rest of the year, I'll make my goal.

My problem is that I'm essentially lazy, so I hate Saturday morning activities. Add to that we often travel on the weekend, and signing up on Saturdays can be a bit dicey. Then on top of that, I'm a bit reclusive by nature, so I trend towards more "hands off" activities like foodbank, database updates, vacant lot cleanups, etc. (Kind of ironic when I work with a group called "hands on", no?) Opportunities during the week that meet both requirements are a little more limited. But...only 4 hours a month? There are no excuses for me not to be able to swing that!

By the way, if you want to do volunteer work, definitely check out the Hands On network. The cool thing is these are one shot volunteer opportunities, so if you can't commit a set amount of time per month, you can still do good things for other people.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home