Friday, February 17, 2006

Sympathy Pains

Wow, do I sympathize with what Heather at Dooce says about losing her dog. We lost Fred overnight a few years ago in a bummer of an accident. The dog outsmarted us. He and my husband went mountain biking, but when Fred got tired, he just went back to the car without mentioning the fact to my husband. After a comedy of errors involving my husband checking the park while someone saw Fred in the parking lot and worried that he would get hit on the busy street next to the parking lot. He took Fred home. Oh yeah, and Fred wasn't wearing his collar. Alas, his dog was not down with Fred visiting, so Fred slept in the garage that night. And we walked through the park for hours calling him. I kept envisioning my baby having fallen off one of the steep hillsides, laying hurt in the snow someplace, wondering why we wouldn't come get him. Finally I went home to call vet clinics while my husband got flyers made up and plastered the park and adjoining streets. At about 2AM, he found the note that the guy who had Fred had left. And he came home. The guy called at 7:30AM, and we went back to the park to get our boy. 12 horrible hours without our baby. I cried a lot.

I know if you don't have a dog, it's really weird. It's the whole "It's just a dog!" But, Dooce, I totally understand. The plus side that came out of it was we managed to get through that totally devastating evening without getting mad or calling each other names. Kind of a good pre-marriage test of how we handle things when the going gets tough.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home