Monday, October 24, 2005

Scent of Green Papaya

This is one of those movies that's really just too good for me.

This is a Vietnamese movie which won all sorts of awards at Cannes a few years back. Foreign. Award winning. Subtitles. I'm already outclassed before I even hit play.

Essentially the final result was that while I completely appreciate the cinematography, and I thought the acting was really good, I really didn't see a lot of plot to this movie. It's a short movie to begin with (under an hour and a half), and the first two thirds was about a ten year old girl who goes to work as a servant for an ultra dysfunctional family and learns the stories behind the roiling dramas going on around her. Then in the last third, she's an adult breaking some conventions in her own quiet way. And somehow I've missed the critical link that tied those two together and made the movie one. Maybe I sneezed during a critical subtitle or something.

Anyway, if good camera work and beautiful scenery creates excitement for you, then this is the movie to get. But if like me, Cannes awards signal your impending out-class-edness, maybe you should pass.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home